Dillard University Lawless Memorial Chapel and Assembly Hall
Lawless Chapel and Assembly Hall provide Dillard University with flexible space for church services, student body gatherings, performances, major lectures, weddings, and funerals. The 1955 structure is important not only for its prominence on campus, but it is also the largest assembly space on campus. The nave and balcony have a combined seating capacity of 800. The facility is a historic icon on the university’s campus, as well as a significant landmark within the surrounding community.
The goal of the renovation was to upgrade the chapel’s capability to function as an assembly hall. While it is the only building on Dillard’s campus that didn’t flood in Hurricane Katrina, it has suffered deterioration over the years. Additionally, systems modifications were needed to modernize the facility. The renovation introduced accessible restrooms, replaced deteriorating interior finishes, and incorporated modern mechanical, electrical, audio-visual, and performance lighting systems.